Monday, February 2, 2015

Spelling City

Spelling City is a pretty popular site, partially because it is a free site and also because it offers fun ways for students to practice their spelling words.  There is a typing component as well, which is great to reinforce keyboarding skills.  I used this site frequently with my 3rd grade students, and this year I have taught my 1st grade class to use it effectively.  They really love playing the games, and I know it has contributed to their wonderful scores on their weekly spelling tests!


This is the home page your students will see when they access your Spelling City page.  They can choose from the lists at the bottom of the page.  I typically only show the current week's list for my students to practice, since we build our lists around our phonics skill for the week.

The students can choose from any of the activities in the green column, or the pink column if you choose to pay for the extended version of the site.  Personally, I think the free version serves all the needs of my class.

This is Hang Mouse.  The students LOVE this game!  They get 6 changes to guess the letters in the word, or else the cat gets the mouse.

This is the spelling test portion of Spelling City.  Students hear the word spoken and used in a sentence, then they type it into the blank space.

I like to use Spelling City at my Word Work station during Balanced Literacy time.  I also find that students will beg to go on the site during free time or inside recess.  What a great resource! 

No comments:

Post a Comment